Celebs
Rajpal Yadav Granted Interim Bail in ₹9 Crore Cheque Bounce Case

Actor Rajpal Yadav has been granted interim bail by the Delhi High Court in the ₹9 crore cheque bounce case linked to his 2012 directorial debut Ata Pata Laapata. The relief comes after the actor deposited ₹1.5 crore in the complainant’s bank account. The matter is now scheduled for further hearing on March 18.
Yadav, who had surrendered earlier this month, will remain on interim bail until the next date of hearing.
Court Grants Interim Relief After ₹1.5 Crore Deposit
A bench led by Justice Swarana Kanta Sharma suspended Yadav’s sentence temporarily after counsel for the complainant, M/s Murli Projects Pvt Ltd, confirmed receipt of ₹1.5 crore against the dishonoured cheque amount.
The court directed the actor to:
- Furnish a bail bond of ₹1 lakh with one surety of the same amount
- Surrender his passport (if not already submitted)
- Not leave the country without prior permission
- Remain present on the next date of hearing, either physically or via video conferencing
The court clarified that it did not want any “discrepancy” in compliance with its directions.
Yadav had sought interim bail to attend his niece’s wedding on February 19.
Background of the ₹9 Crore Cheque Bounce Case
The case dates back to 2010, when Yadav borrowed ₹5 crore from Murli Projects Pvt Ltd to finance Ata Pata Laapata, which marked his directorial debut. The film underperformed at the box office, and the actor was unable to repay the loan within the agreed timeline.
Multiple cheques issued in connection with the repayment reportedly bounced, leading to legal proceedings under Section 138 of the Negotiable Instruments Act.
Over time, accumulated interest increased the total liability to nearly ₹9 crore across multiple cases.
Legal Timeline
- 2018: A Delhi magistrate court convicted Yadav and sentenced him to six months’ imprisonment.
- 2019: A sessions court upheld the conviction.
- June 2024: The High Court suspended the sentence temporarily, directing Yadav to take “sincere and genuine measures” to clear the dues.
- February 2, 2026: The High Court ordered him to surrender, observing repeated breaches of undertakings to repay the amount.
- February 5, 2026: Yadav surrendered and was sent to Tihar Jail.
- February 16, 2026: Interim bail granted after ₹1.5 crore deposit.
Time in Custody and Public Response
Yadav spent nearly two weeks in custody at Tihar Jail before securing interim bail. After his release, he stated that he ate the same food served to other inmates and complied with court directions during his time in jail.
He has maintained that the matter is sub judice and said he is being careful in his public statements to avoid legal complications. The actor also stated that he does not seek sympathy and will abide by the court’s decision if required to serve his sentence.
Support from Film Fraternity
Several members of the film industry extended support to Yadav during the legal proceedings. Among those who publicly expressed solidarity were:
- Sonu Sood, who signed him for a film and offered financial assistance
- Salman Khan
- Ajay Devgn
- Varun Dhawan
- Priyadarshan, who confirmed Yadav’s involvement in upcoming projects and said he had requested producers to increase the actor’s remuneration to support him
Yadav’s wife, Radha Yadav, acknowledged the support but did not disclose specific details.
Actor Seeks Work, Emphasises Professional Continuity
Following his release, Yadav requested more work opportunities from the industry, stating that increased earnings would help him stabilise financially. He noted that he continued to work consistently over the past decade, appearing in multiple films annually despite the ongoing legal case.
The actor reiterated that he respects the judicial process and will continue complying with court orders. The next hearing on March 18 will determine further proceedings in the case.




